Faculty/Staff Current Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can financial aid be used to pay for expenses for these international courses?

A: Tuition scholarship funds may be used for the tuition if funds remain on account. You may request the Financial Aid Office to modify your budget for the current year so that you may receive more aid (usually in the form of loans) to help cover some of the other expenses.

Q: Do I need to bring a suit? What is the attire?

A: While the trip is mostly business casual, business formal may be necessary for some company visits. Your IFS trip leader will discuss country specific dress codes in more detail as the trip date approaches.

Q: What should I pack?

A: Pack light. Remember, you have to carry around whatever you bring. Several business casual outfits are appropriate and packing some comfortable clothing is recommended as well. Women, bring closed toed shoes, as some cultures frown about open-toed shoes in a business setting. Taking a laptop computer is a good idea to take notes, keep a journal and to write case analyses/papers.

Q: Is the learning classroom based?

A: Some of the learning is in classrooms located within or near the hotel. In addition, there will be visits to universities, cultural attractions, manufacturing facilities, local companies and government offices.

Q: Will we have free time to explore the cities?

A: You will have some free time, but keep in mind that this is an intensive course that demands much of your time. Expect to put in full days, but we feel that a large part of the experience is seeing the sights and experiencing the various culture hands-on.

Q: What does the activity fee cover?

A: The activity fee will cover double room occupancy, many meals, management fees, classrooms, professors, transportation during the trip and some cultural activities.

Q: Should I bring spending money?

A: Yes, you should plan on bringing spending money for some meals, incidental expenses and personal items. Check with your local bank to learn if your ATM card will be accepted in the cities you'll visit.

Q: Do I need a visa?

A: All students will need their passport, valid for a minimum of 6 months following the conclusion of their trip. Specific details regarding passport and visa requirements will be discussed with the participants on each trip.

Q: I want to travel on my own before and/or after the trip. Is this okay?

A: Absolutely. Most students choose to arrive ahead of time or choose to stay after the trip to travel. However, all students must be at the appropriate hotel at the start of the program.

Q: Will you help us book the flights? Do we all travel together?

A: Students must book their own flights to and from the course. Students are not required to travel together to and from the course, as many wish to arrive early or stay late, but all students MUST travel together during the course. You are free to book your flights directly with the airlines or use your own travel agent. Specific details will be available after the trips are assigned.

If you have any other questions regarding the academic aspect of the course (syllabus, academic requirements, etc.), please contact the faculty member leading the trip. For logistical questions (travel, finance, course registration, etc.), please contact Evelyn Gonzalez at 617.373.5999 or at e.gonzalez@neu.edu.