Fast Facts


Q: How do students schedule an appointment to meet with their advisor? 

A: Students may make an appointment online to meet with an advisor online. Find instructions here on how to do so through your MyNEU portal. Advisors also hold walk-in hours for brief questions. These are posted at 250 Dodge.

Q: How often are students required to see their advisor?

A: It is recommended that all D'Amore-McKim School of Business students see their academic advisor at least once a semester. During the spring semester of freshman year students are required to meet with their academic advisor for a sophomore planning appointment. Junior and senior students are required to meet with their advisor to for a Junior Review and Senior Clearance to ensure that they are on track for graduation.

Students should tell their advisor about any concerns, goals, and problems. Advisors know a great deal about life at Northeastern and can help students plan their years here. Advisors cannot tell students which major to select, or which career will lead to the achievement of the student’s ambitions. Those choices belong to each student. What advisors can do is help students to find resources (websites, books, professors, career specialists) that will help them to answer these, and other questions.


Q: How many semesters are freshmen in school their first year and how many courses do they take each semester?

A: Freshmen are enrolled for two semesters: fall and spring. For freshmen, summer sessions I & II are scheduled vacation periods or may include the freshman D'Amore-McKim School of Business Study Abroad program option. During the fall semester freshmen are enroll in four academic courses (4 credits each) and a 1-credit BUSN1102 course for a total of 17 hours per semester. During the spring semester freshmen are enrolled in four academic courses (4 credits each) and a 1-credit BUSN1100 course for a total of 17 hours per semester.

Q: If students drop below 16 credits is full tuition charged?

A: Yes, full tuition is charged for 12-16 credits. For more details, contact Student Financial Services, located in 354 Richards Hall, at (617) 373-2270 or

Q: What courses do BSBA freshmen take their first year?

A: Freshman core classes are listed below: 

  • BUSN1101 Sustaining Business in the New Economy 
  • ECON1116 Micro Economics 
  • ECON1115 Macro Economics 
  • MATH1231 Calculus for Business 
  • ENGW1111/ENGW1102 College Writing/ College Writing for Speakers of Other Languages 
  • INTB1203 International Business/Global Responsibility 
  • ACCT1201 Financial Accounting 
  • MGSC2301 Business Statistics (prereq. MATH1231) 
  • BUSN1102 Personal Skill Development for Business (1 credit) 
  • BUSN1100 Introduction to Planning for Business Co-op & Careers (1 credit)
Q: What NU core classes are available to freshmen?

A: In addition to core business classes, freshmen choose courses from a list of NU Core Requirements which are: Arts or Humanities, Science/Technology and a 2000 intermediate level course. Please refer to the master list here.

Q: How are credits reviewed for Advanced Placement, International BACC and/or transfer credits?

A: An official transcript or score report should be sent to the freshman advisor in 250 Dodge Hall for review (if one was not already sent to the Admissions Office during the application process). Students should check on the status of AP or transfer credits 4-6 weeks after submission.

Q: When do freshmen enroll in courses?

A: Fall schedules are completed during summer orientation. The spring registration process and course selections are explained in the BUSN1102 course during the fall semester.

Q: When do students declare their concentration and can they change it?

A: Concentration(s) can be declared during the spring semester of ther freshman year. To assist in this process, summaries of all concentration(s) and other career related information are provided to freshmen. Freshmen can remain "undecided business" into the sophomore year if unsure about a selection. Students can usually change their concentrations up to the junior year without adverse effects on their graduation year.

Q: When is Cooperative Education explained to freshmen?

A: During the spring semester students will enroll in BUSN1100 in which explains the co-op process, resume writing, cover letters, concentration information and career paths are covered.

Q: Is co-op required for business students?

A: As an integral component of our curriculum, each student must complete a minimum of two six-month co-ops in the D'Amore-McKim School of Business. A third six-month co-op is optional.

Q: What if a student develops a severe physical illness or psychological condition while in school?

A: If a physician recommends that a student should withdraw for medical reasons, students should contact University Health & Counseling Services at (617) 373-2772 to discuss the arrangement of a Medical Leave of Absence.

Q: How do freshmen make an appointment with their freshman academic advisor?

A: The D'Amore-McKim School of Business has implemented an online calendar system. Simply log in to the myNEU Portal to locate the D'Amore-McKim School of Business advisors calendar section & search by advisor name.

Q: Who do students contact for other questions?

A: Students should always contact their academic advisors about any academic related questions. Additionally, if a student doesn’t know where to go for a non-academic question, the academic advisors can help students find the appropriate office.


Q: What concentrations are offered in D'Amore-McKim School of Business and can students change concentrations?

A: There are seven concentrations offered in the D'Amore-McKim School of Business: 

Generally, students can change their concentration up until the junior year without impacting their expected graduation date. Students should speak with their academic advisor if they want to change concentrations. 

Q: Does Northeastern offer minors and combined majors? 

A: Yes, many business majors opt to have a minor along with their business concentration(s). Students may also pursue a combined major. Students interested in pursuing a minor or a combined major should meet with their academic advisor.

Q: Does Northeastern offer study abroad?

A: Yes, Northeastern encourages student to study and/or co-op abroad as part of their program. Students who are interested in study abroad should meet with their academic advisor to plan out their schedule. Please click here to visit the Office of International Study Programs website for more information about the programs that are available. 

Q: Can students do an Independent Study?

A: Students who would like to do an Independent Study must fill out an Independent Study Proposal Form detailing their proposed topic and intended course of action. Students must find a full-time faculty member to guide their studies. After discussing the proposal with the professor who will supervise the independent study and obtaining the signature of the department's Group Coordinator, students are asked to bring the form to 250 Dodge Hall. The form will then be reviewed and processed. Approval of the form must be obtained within the first half of the semester.


Q: How do students get their grades?

A: Grades are available through the MyNEU portal at

Q: Can students take a class pass/fail?

A: Yes, if enrolled in 16 semester hours of credit, students may take one non-business elective pass/fail. Business core, freshman core, concentration and NU Core requirements cannot be taken pass/fail. Permission of the instructor and a petition form are needed. Students should meet with their academic advisor before electing to take a course pass/fail.

Q: How do students get on the Dean's List? 

A: Students who have successfully completed 16 SH of work in a given semester with an average of 3.500, no grade less than "C-", no pass/fail grades and no incomplete grades (I), will be placed on the Dean's List for that semester. All students who qualify will automatically be sent a letter from the D'Amore-McKim School of Business.


Q: How do students register for classes?

A: All students register online through their MyNEU portal during specific registration dates announced by the University Registrar's office.

Q: How do students know what courses to register for?

A: Students should meet with their academic advisor prior to the registration date. During this meeting, advisors will help students fill out a curriculum guide. Students also have access to their online degree audit, which lists program requirements.

Q: Where do students find out what courses are offered? 

A: Course offerings can be found online at the Office of the University Registrar. Information can also be found by using the MyNEU portal

Q: What is "I Am Here" registration? 

A: It is a University procedure used to verify students’ attendance and their class schedules completed during orientation or online. Failure to complete "I Am Here" results in classes for that semester being dropped or purged. "I Am Here" is completed on the MyNEU Portal on the Self Service tab during specified dates.  

Q: Can students change their class schedule after having registered?

A: Prior to the start of classes students have the ability to add and drop classes at their discretion. There is also an add/drop period at the start of every semester where student can add and drop courses. Please refer to the university-wide academic calendar for specific dates

Q: What is the procedure when business classes are closed? 

A: Students should always keep checking all sections of the class to see what is open. Advisors cannot put students into closed courses. A Closed Course Petition form is posted on the D'Amore-McKim School of Business website for the entire first week of each new semester. Students who need classes which are closed should fill out the appropriate form. Students will receive an email within 24-48 hours letting them know if they have been approved or denied. (If the class does not appear on their schedule after all forms have been reviewed, that means the student ‘s petition was NOT approved. Students should also remember to monitor Banner enrollments daily, as they fluctuate often and seats may open up.


Q: What should a student do if having academic difficulty in a specific course?

A: Students should contact the professor as soon as possible for additional assistance. Professors have office hours where students can discuss the course work. Some courses also have teaching assistants who can provide additional assistance while others offer tutoring services. For more information, please visit the D'Amore-McKim School of Business' Programming and Mentoring page.

Q: What happens if a student needs to repeat a class?

A: Because the student has already earned credit for the course (in other words, if the original grade in the course is a D- or better), the student will not earn any additional credit for repeating the course. The new grade will always, regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the old grade, be the grade that is calculated into the student's QPA. The old grade remains on the student's transcript and is followed by the word "repeat". Students are charged regular tuition when they repeat a course. Please note: Students must meet with their academic advisor about repeating a course. 

Q: How do students clear up an incomplete?

A: Students who receive an incomplete (I) in a course, must complete a contract with the professor. The contract outlines the conditions to complete the course within a one-year time period. Students should meet with the professor as soon as possible and fulfill the contract to obtain a letter grade. Students SHOULD NOT re-take the class because the "I" will remain permanently on the student’s record and will not take the place of the new class.  


Q: How is transfer credit evaluated?

A: Each course is evaluated by a faculty member in the academic department in which the course is taught. Using a course description from the student’s previous institution, the course is evaluated on the basis of content as compared to a similar NU course. If more information is needed, a syllabus may be requested to determine course equivalency or lack thereof.

Q: Are there rules that govern transfer credit acceptance?

A: All students who transfer must complete a minimum of 64 semester hours at Northeastern in order to confer their degree.

Q: Why do students not receive credit for some courses?

A: There are several reasons why a course may not be accepted for transfer credit. These include: poor grades, unacceptable content, course level, repeated course work, or having reached the limit of transfer credit. Additionally, to preserve the integrity of our curriculum, some courses are not eligible for transfer. 

Q: What grade must students earn to transfer a course?

A: A grade of "C" or higher is required for a course to be eligible for transfer. No Pass/Fail grades will be considered for transfer. 

Q: What should students do if they think a course should be accepted?

A: Students have the right to have a course re-evaluated. Students must provide more information, such as a syllabus, to aid this effort. Supporting materials should be submitted to the transfer advisor as quickly as possible. 

Q: Does the GPA from a student’s former institution transfer?

A: Although students must earn a "C" or better to transfer a course, class grades do not transfer. 

Q: How many courses do students take per semester? 

A: Transfer students will be enrolled in 17 credit hours during their first semester at NU. This schedule will include four (4-credit) courses and one (1-credit) course. Every other semester will consist of 16 credit hours (fall & spring) which will assists students to remain on track for graduation.

Q: Can students change their concentration?

A: Yes, usually students can change their concentrations up to their junior year without affecting their graduation year. This will depend on the number and type of credits transferred in.

Q: Can students study abroad while at Northeastern?

A: For transfers, the ability to study abroad without extending the graduation date is dependent upon the number and type of credits transferred. Transfer students should consult with their academic advisor early to determine the best strategy to incorporate a study abroad experience into their curriculum. For more information on study abroad programs at NU, visit the Office of International Study Programs.

Q: Can students complete a minor or combined major at Northeastern? 

A: Most minors consist of four to six courses (excluding prerequisites) that fall into the category of open electives in the D'Amore-McKim School of Business curriculum. Since transfer courses tend to fulfill several of the open elective requirements, students should meet with their academic advisor early in order to discuss minor options. The ability to do a combined major also depends on the courses transferred to NU. Again, students should discuss this with their academic advisor. 

Q: Who are the academic advisors for transfer students?

A: Transfer students work with the Transfer Advising team which consists of Sarah Fraser and Erin Donovan. Students may contact Sarah Fraser at or Erin Donovan at

Q: Is co-op required in the D'Amore-McKim School of Business program? 

A: As an integral component of our curriculum, each student must complete a minimum of two six-month co-ops in the D'Amore-McKim School of Business. A third six-month co-op is optional.

Q: When do students go on their first co-op? 

A: Typically, transfer students will be in school for two full academic semesters prior to going out on co-op. Exceptions to this may be made depending on the number of credits transferred and/or experience in the workplace. Students should consult with their academic advisor at orientation if they wish to begin co-op earlier than normal.